You have to open up your eyes before you learn to see

Monday, November 26, 2007

Ohhhhh boy.

Well, again -- I have so much I need to add. This is inexcusable behavior and trust me, I'm punishing myself in my head.

We just had an incredibly busy weekend--Saturday was Maitri's annual fundraiser, which included a golf tournament in the (wee early) morning and an awards/dinner @ night at this beautiful hotel. Additionally at this event there was a fashion show in which Ali, Kacee & I joined 10 professional models and pretended to be pros ourselves. It was interesting, and very fun. :)

In the meantime, we delayed a work trip to Shillong (Northeast India) due to the fact that some riots have taken place as the result of a strike at a nearby military base (some 60+ people were killed--it's really sad)... so we're going to go tomorrow morning and hope for the best, I suppose. It should be quite something... I'm really looking forward to it.

Oh and p.s., woke up this morning @ about 4:45 b/c there was an earthquake happening. It was quite intense, and the jolts were real -- being on the second-to-top floor of our building made it *fun* b/c the sway to and fro was that much more evident. Apparently it was just a "mild" earthquake that deserves little mention, however.

When Ali wouldn't wake up I just decided to go back to sleep. Why? Because you don't ask "why" in India. Even if there's an earthquake... never ask why. One of the most valuable lessons I've learned here. Ali's epic sleep-through of it was testimony to that concept.

In the meantime, I've been DYING to post a picture of the following:

Here is the pedestrian road sign we're all very used to:



And here is the same concept but India/Delhi-style:



Yeah. It's not so much "Pedestrian Crossing; Be Careful" so much as it is "YO! There are people hauling ass across the street to get to work, try not to hit too many of them" ... type.

I love it. It really is Delhi in a nutshell.

On that note, I'll be back with more as soon as I can -- love to all ;-)